Thursday 23 February 2012

Love Your Library

Our local library is less than a ten minute walk from home and somewhat underused by my family. The children adore books and B and I are both readers, but he is a Kindle man and I like to buy my books either new or used. I like to have the freedom of spills, tears and tears (you heard me), especially with Boy and Girl around. To be honest, I haven't finished a book of my choice since Girl was 3 months old, and that was a book of very short stories by Gina Ochsner.

Boy likes the library, but tends to take up all my attention when we are there, especially if it is Storytime, which takes place every Friday. Boy has yet to sit through a whole page of whatever story the patient -if somewhat dry- librarian is reading aloud. Nevertheless he likes the buzz of the other children and enjoys the crayons and fetching me books to read to him (always the Gruffalo, then The Gruffalo's Child, no matter how many times I explain that we already have these at home).

However today I had Girl all to myself and thought I would take her on a rare visit to the library without Boy, so that for once she wouldn't be left in the buggy chewing on a manky old board book while I chase Boy around the bookcases begging him to sit and enjoy any book that doesn't feature the Little Brown/Big Bad Mouse.

She really did enjoy having a story read just to her - I picked Wilde's The Selfish Giant, more out of fond nostalgia than age appropriateness. It did have lovely watercolour illustrations and Girl sat and poking and pulling gently at the pictures while I read her the story. We even made it as far as the Giant's heart melting for the little boy too short to climb a tree before she lost interest. We then looked at a couple of touchy feely books, although they didn't have any from our favourite series, Watt & Wells' "That's not my...".

Eventually Girl's happy noises started to get slightly fractious and I got ready to leave. But we didn't walk out of the door before I renewed my library membership and picked myself up a little treat. Once Girl fell asleep I strolled to the nearest cafe where I sat with cup of tea and lemon and devoured Sanctuary a Galway murder mystery by Ken Bruen - thanks to AnnieJMac for the impassioned recommendation.

Later this evening B gave an astounding rendition of The Gruffalo's Child to the delight of Boy and Girl. I've no idea how he keeps the enthusiasm in his voice even 274 recitations later. I'm frequently tempted to video him and post it on youtube for quick access during those times when I just can't read it again.

I feel I've already got my €2 worth from rejoining the library and may even get another book finished before the end of 2012. One that isn't by Julia Donaldson that is. Happy reading!

2 comments:

  1. glad you had some time to rest and read - as well as being adorable, Girl and Boy are exhausting and having time for yourself has to be an added bonus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I've only read 2 books since M was born, and that was 18 months ago!

    ReplyDelete